Friday, June 13, 2014

Romania

This April, I had the opportunity to serve on my first mission trip. Although I’m a missionary, ironically, I’ve never been on a mission trip before. The group from ICSV went to Romania, where we served the ministry River of Life (http://www.rol.internationalmessengers.org/) by pouring concrete for a driveway and teaching ESL lessons for the kids there. The place is a shelter for moms and children who have hit rock bottom and have nowhere else to go.





One of my jokes is that if I get sick it will be God’s will, since I haven’t had to take a sick day all year. But the day we arrived in Romania, my nose started running and I had a migraine headache. The whole week my nose was clogged up, I had a wad of tissues in my pocket, was cold at night, and smelled like smoke from the bonfire we had. Even so, through God’s strength, I was able to teach ESL lessons with patience and give my best on the work projects in the morning before lunch every day. I really had the sense that because I was in the right place (being in Romania instead of hanging out with Max in Vienna like I‘d rather do), God was able to use my weaknesses for his glory.



School has gone pretty well, but it’s been an exhausting year and I’m thankful that summer break is here. Next year I will be at ICSV again, but I’ll be teaching 7th and 8th grade English instead of 6th, 11th, and 12th grades. I will also be able to teach a dance class!


Hamza helping with ESL lessons

I'm flying to Texas this Sunday for a month, and I'm looking forward to seeing family, eating some Mexican food, floating the river with Jill, shopping at Wal-Mart, and being in MURICA! 

No comments:

Post a Comment