Monday, October 10, 2011

Art Museum Etc

We went to this art museum in Seoul about 2 weeks ago.  It was really cool because every picture had some way you could interact with it.  This one you act like you're pumping air into Mona Lisa's mouth.  There were a few I didn't show.  The coolest was too dark on my camera.  It was a slanted room where one person stands on one side and the other on the other side, but the roof is tilted so it looks like one person is really small and one is normal. 

Afterwards we went to walk around and have dinner.  My dinner was at a hot-dog stand, and it was pretty good.  We walked through an area that had a lot of clubs and it was fun to see how the people were dressed.  In the last picture, if you look closely, you can see bubbles.  They were coming from one club trying to draw in people.  Marketing strategies here are pretty intense.  I'll be just sitting on the subway on my way into Seoul, and the door will open and this random person will jump on the train with a bag of stuff.  When the doors shut they start talking quickly and loudly in Korean, showing everybody whatever it is they're trying to sell.  I've seen women's pantyhose, feet scrubbers, and a kid's light-up spinning toy so far.  They talk and sell until the next stop, which is usually only a few minutes away, and then they disappear again.

Things are going good.  The people at my church are really nice and helpful. Last night we went out to a restaurant where they bring you an endless supply of beef for you to cook on a hotplate in the middle of the table.  There was a pile of lettuce to put the meat on, and a little plate with raw garlic and a red sauce.  After we grilled the garlic and put it all together it was really good.  At the end of the meal they asked if we all wanted ice cream (they love it here), and of course we all said yes, so a guy ran to a nearby convenience store and came back with a bagful of ice cream pops.  Mine was a green tea cone.  It was so good!

I've been taking Korean lessons once a week from a person who goes to Danguk University, which is just down the road from BHCS.  At this point I can mostly read the whole alphabet and make all the sounds.  I can't understand everything though.  We meet every Sunday, and I get the chance to ask questions about the culture and why people do this or that.  This past week I found out that, yes, it IS rude to give your trash to the person behind the counter.  I was wondering why I got nasty looks for that, but it's so hard to find a trash can!    










No comments:

Post a Comment