Friday, September 23, 2011

Classroom and the Grocery Store...

Yay! I'm a teacher now!
Here's the front of the school! BHCS stands for Big Heart Christian School.

You can't see the pics, but I have a pic of Obama, the South Korean president, and Einstein

My first bulletin board! I think it turned out pretty good.
 If you look through the window you can see the chicken pen.  The rooster crows ALL THE TIME. But I don't mind.  Makes me feel like I'm back at Granny's.  I love my windows!
Here's a closeup of my board.  Highlighting instructions at the top and Be Verbs at the bottom. 

Here's the chickens.  The kids love to watch them and "the chicken man" when he comes to feed them.

This is the view from my colleague's window.  The construction isn't pretty, but beyond that it's kinda nice.





 Ladies here always carry umbrellas because they WANT TO BE PALE.  That's right, pale is in style in Korea, so I fit right in. :) 


Okay, here I'm transitioning to the trip I took to the supermarket. 

Going in, it looks very much like a normal market, except you can't read anything.  If you start looking closely, though, you can see there are American brands that have produced Korean products.  Like I bought some sparkling lemonade thinking it was Korean, but when I read the back it had "product of the Coca-Cola company" stamped on it. 

Mostly everything is normal, until you get to the deli area.  There are ladies everywhere ready to give you samples of stuff.  The question is whether or not you want to try what they're making.  Last week I took my camera through that area, and people were motioning to me not to take their picture and talking in Korean about me taking pics, but I didn't care.


 These are side dishes and appetizers that go with the meal.  Either that or seasonings.

 These little colored dumplings are dessert.  I've actually tried them and they're not that bad.  They just don't last very long at all in the fridge.  They're chewy and slightly sweet - it's like eating a ball of rice.
Can you believe people buy this and cook it daily?  And can you believe I've eaten some already? They cook this stuff up in a million different ways in different sauces, soups, fried, whatever.  It's like Bubba talking about shrimp on Forrest Gump, "Squid stew, squid sandwhich, squid gumbo..."


Clams!





The aliens from Independence Day anyone?


2 comments: